Hanuman presents the Choodamani from Sita - Chapter 40

In the previous chapter, we saw Hanuman and others meet Sugreeva. , Now we'll see Hanuman presents the Choodamani from Sita.


Hanuman was awaiting Rama’s order to tell him all the details of how he found Sita. All the Vanaras told Rama that Sita was in Lanka as Ravana’s prisoner and was being guarded and threatened by the Rakshasis. They also told Rama that Ravana had given Sita a time limit. Hearing this Rama asked them “Where is Sita? What does she think of me? Tell me about these in detail”. The Vanaras requested Hanuman to describe everything to Rama. Hanuman started by first saluting Sita by facing the south direction and then spoke to Rama. Hanuman said “I crossed the vast sea in order to find Sita. There is a city called Lanka belonging to the wicked king Ravana. There Sir I saw Sita being kept as a prisoner and she is still kept alive because of the faith she has in you. She was being threatened by ugly-looking Rakshasis and she was so sad and buried in her agony. But she constantly thinks of you. I won her confidence by singing the story of the Ikshvakus and then she conversed with me. She confided in me about the incident of a crow that happened in Chitrakoota. Sita wanted me to convey to you every detail. She also gave me the ‘Choodamani’ in secret and asked me to hand it over to you. At the same time, she wanted me to remind you how you put on a tilak on her forehead using a red stone. She is threatened by Ravana told me to tell you that she would wait for you for one month beyond which she would not be alive. Rama, I have told you the details as they happened and in all events, a dam has to be built across the sea”.

Rama took the jewel ‘Choodamani’ and pressed it hard against his chest and shed tears. Then he told Sugreeva that he was very much moved to see the jewel, which had been given to Sita by Dasharatha during their wedding, and Sita had worn it on her head. He said this jewel was given by Lord Indra to his father. Rama said that holding the jewel in his hand he felt as if he had seen his dear wife in person. He asked Hanuman to tell him again all the details and what all Sita had told him. Rama said that those words were like medicine to him and would help him to survive.

Hanuman started to describe again the incident that happened in Chitrakoota. He said how the crow had troubled Sita and wounded her while  Rama was resting on her lap. Hanuman recalled how Rama’s Astra in the form of a blade of grass chased the crow which had to surrender to Rama for protection. Hanuman also said how great Rama’s kindness and generosity were because he gave protection to the crow despite what it had done. So Hanuman said “Sita is unable to understand you who were so angered by the crow but now you have taken no action to liberate her from the misery that she underwent in Lanka. Sita said that you Rama are invincible and so if you have only a small consideration for Sita you should go immediately and kill Ravana in the war. Sita also wondered why Lakshmana was keeping quiet too”. Hanuman continued, “I assured Sita that you were drowned in great sorrow and so was Lakshmana. Sita Devi now that you have been found the two princes would be here soon and liberate you. I asked her to give me some souvenirs, which I could show to Rama to convince him that I have met her. Then Sita Devi searched and gave me the jewel she was wearing on her head”.

Hanuman continued to describe how sad Sita was when Hanuman started to leave her. Hanuman said that he reassured her saying that soon her husband would be there. Then Sita mentioned the great hurdle that faced them and which was the crossing of the ocean. Sita said “Hanuman not many can cross the ocean. You are powerful and very strong so you could cross the ocean but how could others do it. I know you alone could kill Ravana and liberate me but it would be more proper if Rama comes and kills Ravana who took me away stealthily when I was alone. So you tell him in such a manner that he would come as soon as possible to save me and before the Rakshasas take my life away. Convey my regards to Rama, Lakshmana, and Sugreeva”.

Hanuman said that he consoled Sita by saying that in Sugreeva’s army everyone was more powerful than him. Hanuman said that after all, a king would not send the ablest person in his court as a messenger. One can see here the great humility of Hanuman who diminished himself in order to assure  Sita and infuse confidence in her.

Hanuman told Rama that he had assured Sita with the following words; “Devi, in Sugreeva’s army there are very strong and heroic Vanaras. They go around the world frequently. Nothing can stop them. The Vanaras will reach Lanka in one leap. Rama and Lakshmana would ride on my back. You are soon going to hear the thunderous noise of the Vanara army arriving in Lanka. Rama would soon destroy the enemies and return to Ayodhya with you and crown himself as the king”.

Hanuman concluded by saying that he had described in detail what had happened when he met Sita and he assured Rama that when he left Sita she was fully consoled and fully convinced of her redemption from the prison of Ravana and that too very soon.

 

End of Sundarakanda The number of shlokas so far is 14675




Post a Comment

0 Comments