Essentials of Hinduism - Bhagavad Gita - The Divine Glories

Essentials of Hinduism

Bhagavad Gita

Chapter 10 - The Divine Glories


The Lord concludes “I AM THE ORIGIN AND THE DISSOLUTION OF THE WHOLE UNIVERSE”. This Chapter is called the Vibhuti Yoga in as much as it describes (a) the Power of Lordship, and (b) the Pervasiveness (Spread Everywhere) of the Self.

The Lord describes His Divine Glories in the following manner (several Stanzas are condensed here):

I am the Self, seated in the Hearts of all Beings; I am the Beginning, the Middle and also the End of all Beings; Of Adityas, I am Vishnu; Of the Luminaries, I am the Radiant Sun; Of the Winds, I am Marichi (mentioned in Rig Veda); Of the Nakshattiras, I am the Moon; Of all the Vedas, I am the Sama Veda; Of all the Devas, I am the Indra; Of the Sense Organs, I am the Mind; Of the Rudras, I am the Sankara; I am the Kubera; Of the Vasus (mentioned in the Chandogya Upanishad), I am the Fire; Of all the Peaks, I am the Meru (believed to be the Center of the Universe); Of the Priests, I am the Brihaspati; Of Water, I am the Ocean; Of the great Rishis, I am the Bhrugu (Chief of the Sabda Rishis); Of Words, I am the One-Syllabled OM; Of sacrifices, I am the Japa (Japa and Yajna are glorified here; also, to recognize that Japa is the core of all the Paths; Of Things Motionless, I am the Himalayas; Of all the Trees, I am the Aswattha Tree; Of the Deva Rishis, I am the Narada; Of the Siddhas, I am the Muni Kapila; Of Cows, I am the Kamadhuk; Of Snakes, I am the Vasuki; Of the Water Deities, I am the Varuna; Of the Controllers, I am the Yama; Among Beasts, I am the Lion; Among Birds, I am the Garuda; Of Cleaning Agents, I am the Wind; Of the fishes, I am the Shark; Of
Creations, I am the Beginning, the End and the Middle too; Of Arguments, I am the Vadha; Of the Seasons, I am the Flowering Spring; Of all the Saints, I am Vyasa.

Stanza 1:

The Blessed Lord said: As one understands more and more the Philosophy of Vedanta, one cannot but come to feel an inward Glow of Peace and Satisfaction.

Stanza 3:

The Self is Eternal, and therefore, it is Birthless, everything else is born in the Self, exists in the Self, and, when all the things are totally destroyed , they end in the Self. On re-discovering the nature of the Self and gaining thereby a perfect, and complete identification with the Self, he can no longer perpetrate (be guilty of) any more of his past sins.

Stanza 10:

To the ever-steadfast, Worshipping Me with love, I give the Buddhi-Yoga. For a Devotee striving diligently, he will be Blessed with an intellectual contact, or comprehension of the Reality.

This power of an intuitive awareness of Reality comes only to such Seekers in whom the maturity of a steady and continued contemplation upon the Self has come about.

Stanza 42:

In the end, pantingly concluding the enumerations (described in the Beginneing of this Chapter) the Lord says: I exist, supporting this Whole World by one part of Myself.

This is the end of THE YOGA OF DIVINE GLORIES.


This article is a snippet from the Book Essentials of Hinduism, Authored by G.S Nilakantan. Hinduism for All is available online at www.giri.in and across Giri Trading Agency Private LimitedA chain of Speciality Stores dealing in all kinds of products needed in Indian Culture and Tradition.

GIRI is Also the Humble Recipient of "The BEST TOURIST FRIENDLY SHOPPING CENTER in Tamil Nadu" Award For The Year 2019.

To Know More and For Deeper Insights on Sanatana Dharma, Hinduism and Indian Culture and Tradition, Follow Us on.


 giri facebook giri twittergiri instagram giri pinterest giri youtube  giri sharechat giri bloggerGiri MusicGiri Tumblr

Have something to say about this Article ? Please Leave Some Comments Thank you.

Post a Comment

0 Comments